Steak au Poivre
Recipe by Chef Robyn Alexander
1. Press cracked peppercorns onto both sides of each piece of meat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Sprinkle the beef pieces with salt just before cooking. Heat butter and oil in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan over high heat.
3. Sear meat, turning only once, about 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a warmed plate; keep warm.
4. To make the sauce, pour off any remaining fat and maintain high heat. Stir-fry diced shallots in the pan. Deglaze the sauté pan with Cognac, stirring to loosen up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
5. Add the stock, mustard and cream and reduce by half. Pour over fillets and serve at once.
Prev: Saffron and Mushroom Risotto