Saffron and Mushroom Risotto
Recipe by Chef Robyn Alexander
1. Place saffron threads in a bowl with the 1/2 cup of hot stock. Set aside and let the saffron bloom for at least 20 minutes.
2. Add butter and oil to a frying pan. Sauté mushrooms over high heat. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter with the extra-virgin olive oil. Sauté shallots and onion until translucent.
4. Add the cup of uncooked Arborio rice and stir for about 2 minutes. Add a ladle of broth, reduce heat to a simmer, and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
5. Add vegetable stock and saffron threads; stir and simmer until absorbed. Continue adding 1/2 cup of warm vegetable stock, stirring between additions, until the rice is cooked. (Rice is cooked when it is creamy and al dente, about 20–25 minutes.)
6. Add the Parmesan cheese, and stir to combine.
7. Fold in sautéed mushrooms, and serve risotto on individual plates and garnish with fresh, chopped parsley.
Next: Steak au Poivre
Prev: Join Us for a Valentine's Day Dinner for Two