Step 1: Create a stunning website. Easier said than done? Sure, but a good website is a necessity. Remember, design matters. So does good writing. The phrase to keep in mind is: What’s in it for the reader? In this section you’ll learn the tricks of the web development business so that whether you do it yourself or hire a professional, you’ll be able to create a strategy and timeline that will help you master the process.
PR Rules: The Playbook
How to Snag Headlines and Win Customers with 7 Steps to PR Success
Consider this equation: Strong Business Strategy + Savvy Communications Tools = Consistent Sales and Business Growth
Simple, right? And, it’s something most business owners already know. But knowing the formula is the easy part. What’s not so easy is developing a strong business strategy, and mastering the communications skills you need to spread the good word about your business.
So how does an artist or chef, financial advisor or insurance agent write a great press release and land a column in a business magazine, or design a website and keep it consistently updated? How do these experts in their chosen fields master the art of creating and executing a cohesive, dynamic PR and marketing campaign? And once they hit the level of success that they charted for themselves, how do they sustain it—or better yet, take their companies to the next level?
First, take a deep breath, dear entrepreneur. You simply need to start at the end—which means coming up with an organized, executable strategy using our 7 Steps to PR Success. Then work backward until you get to the starting point. If you follow this approach, we believe you can accomplish everything you dream of for your business, and possibly for your life, too!
Scroll down to view our Table of Contents, and learn more about the tools in our PR toolbox. Then, step by step we’ll spell out for you the basics of what to do to make your business grow and glow.
Remember, PR and marketing is the fun stuff, the sassy stuff, and the means you’ll use to share and honor the beautiful business that you are building. Here’s to helping your imagination—and your company—soar.
Ready to turn on the lights? Let’s get started! — Hope, Kathleen, and Michael
Step 2: Develop an explosive PR & marketing campaign. Create e-newsletters and press releases that get opened and read. Sound tough? Not if you are an expert in your industry, have a great story to tell, and have the ability to tell it well. That’s also why your website needs to be engaging, current, and packed with great content. We’ll talk more about how to accomplish those goals.
Step 3: Roll out a strategic, powerful, social media campaign, on the proper channels, to enhance your brand, share your expertise, and build your customer base. This is just another tool to get you in front of the people you want to impress.
Step 4: Make a splash In the News. The key is that 7-letter word: Content—good content.
Step 5: Network at the right organizations, in the right cities, where your clients are looking for you. Showing up is 90 percent of the game. We’ll help you with the other 10%.
Step 6: Write a book. How? By working with nonprofit organizations that work in your industry and can benefit from your expertise. For no other reason, it’s the right thing to do. Plus, it creates goodwill, which is good PR. So it’s a win-win-win situation—our favorite kind.
Step 7: Keep spreading the news by joining a speakers bureau. Once you launch your spectacular campaign, get quoted in the news, have traffic to your website, and tons of social media connections—don’t stop! That’s a rookie mistake, one that will bite you in the behind in a few months. Instead, stay fresh, relevant, and inventive, and find new markets to get the word out.