June 18, 2014, WUSA — Billed as the online place to go for “inspired resources for entrepreneurs,” BusinessInfoGuide.com features a Q&A with Inkandescent PR founder Hope Katz Gibbs, and her book, PR Rules: The Playbook.
The first in a series of rulebooks for entrepreneurs from Inkandescent Publishing, “PR Rules: The Playbook” is a DIY, hands-on primer on how to create and manage a strong PR and marketing campaign.
Gibbs, a journalist-turned-PR specialist who has helped hundreds of business owners increase visibility since founding Inkandescent Public Relations in 2001, answered a host of questions from BusinessInfoGuide about her work and “Pr Rules: The Playbook.”
Here are excerpts from her Q&A with BusinessInfoGuide:
BusinessInfoGuide: What is your book about?
Hope Katz Gibbs: “PR Rules: The Playbook” is the entrepreneurs guide to supersizing your small business using our 8 Steps to PR Success. The book answers the question: What do you need to do to create an effective PR and marketing campaign that builds credibility, increases sales, and gets reporters to call you for your expert opinion?
This 176-page interactive book will take you through the steps required to best promote your business.
- Part 1 — Understanding the PR Playing Field. What is the difference between PR, marketing, advertising, sales, and social media? In this section we feature insights from eight experts in each field to help you understand the landscape.
- Part 2 — The 8 Steps to PR Success. From creating a stunning website (Step 1) to paying it forward (Step 8), you’ll learn what each tool in the PR toolkit is (and what it isn’t), why it’s important, and how you can use the PR toolbox to supersize your small business.
- Part 3 — Inkandescent Case Studies and Insights. What do the big players do to make their businesses glow and grow? In this section you’ll find case studies of eight CEOs in a range of industries that are being “Inkandescent” in their PR and marketing campaigns.
BusinessInfoGuide: What inspired you to write your book?
Hope Katz Gibbs: Since 2001, hundreds of clients have utilized our approach to PR to launch their websites, develop popular newsletters, and get quoted in such publications as The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, radio and TV news shows including the “CBS Early Show,” “Fox Business,” and more.
We wanted to reach more of the nation’s entrepreneurs, in hopes of helping them build their businesses, too. After all, not every small business owners can afford to hire a PR team. Our goal with the book is to help them DIY and rock their campaigns.
BusinessInfoGuide: How did you come to do what you’re doing today?
Hope Katz Gibbs: I have been a journalist since graduating from the University of Pennsylvania in 1986. I got into the PR business in 2001, and in 2008 I incorporated The Inkandescent Group LLC.
Since then, we’ve perfected the 8 Steps to PR Success, and also developed a strong publishing department that includes our monthly business magazine, BeInkandescent.com, an active radio network, and a speakers bureau for entrepreneurs.
BusinessInfoGuide: Can you describe a typical day in your life?
Hope Katz Gibbs: It’s busy — and fun! Every day, I try to do something that makes me laugh, take a deep breath, and appreciate where I am in my journey.
BusinessInfoGuide: What do you most enjoy about what you do?
Hope Katz Gibbs: I love helping my clients accomplish their goals. Essentially, I’m a business strategist with great communications skills.
I consider what I do to be tough love — with a PR twist.
BusinessInfoGuide: Are there any people and/or books that have inspired you along your journey?
Hope Katz Gibbs: Of course! Hundreds of books line the walls of my office, and they have shaped what I know about the world.
And, having been a reporter for so long, I’ve integrated the information gathered from thousands of interviews into my own world view.
In fact, in “PR Rules,” we feature eight entrepreneurs (of more than 50) who have graced the covers of our business magazine, www.BeInkandescent.com since January 2010.
BusinessInfoGuide: Can you share some business tips for our readers?
Hope Katz Gibbs:
- Think big. Then think bigger.
- But don’t be naive. Entrepreneurship is the hardest job you’ll ever have. You’ll face all of your strengths and weaknesses on a daily basis. So be smart, trust your instincts, and make sure you give yourself enough time and have enough money to make your business work.
- Be patient. It takes years to build a successful business. Be in it for the long haul, learn from your mistakes (because you will make plenty), and enjoy the experience. After all, no true entrepreneur could work for someone else anyway. So embrace the roller coaster ride.
BusinessInfoGuide: Can you share something that people might be surprised to learn about you?
Hope Katz Gibbs: My dad was a bookie. And he was charming and generous, and he left my mom when I was in college to marry someone a few years older than I was. Thereafter, he held me at arm’s length — which as you can imagine, kinda sucked.
So I learned to count on myself, which was a very good thing. My dad also taught me to stand up, stand out, and to be fearless.
BusinessInfoGuide: Is there anything else you would like to add?
Hope Katz Gibbs: My secret dream is to work internationally. I’d love to represent firms that want to do business in the US.
And, I’d love to work with colleges and universities to educate students about PR. I can see “PR Rules” becoming a text book, because it’s chock full of experts, insights, and case studies.
Read the full interview at BusinessInfoGuide.com
Order “PR Rules: The Playbook”
“PR Rules: The Playbook—The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Supersizing Your Small Business With the 8 Steps to PR Success,” by Hope Katz Gibbs, with Kathleen McCarthy (co-author and editor), and Michael Gibbs (illustrator/designer), is 176 pages and perfect bound. Available for $24.95 from www.PRRulesPlaybook.com.